Sunday, August 25, 2013

This is what happens when you give speeches 4 days after arriving in your host country

So, a little over two weeks ago, I had to give a speech to my host Rotary club, and at the time, I though I did pretty well... what I thought I said was this:

"Hello, my name is James, I am an exchange student. Switzerland is very beautiful, and the people are interesting! I'm very happy to be here."

While it wasn't exactly a speech, that was about all I was supposed to say, I had only been there for a few days, and at the time, I was pretty darn proud of myself. But after several weeks of a language course, I now have a more accurate translation of what was said:

"Good morning (it was not morning), my name is James, I am THE exchange student. Switzerland is very handsome, and the people are... interesting... I am very happiness to be here."

1 comment:

  1. The language will come. Don't let mistakes or wrong words stand in your way. When I lived in Lausanne, my ex-husband introduced me as his husband. C'est le vie! Go for it! Lean and live the experience to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete